AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Help needed with a downer beef cow
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 4/21/2024 13:07 (#10714664 - in reply to #10713607)
Subject: RE: Help needed with a downer beef cow

Faunsdale, AL
The ones that seem to have the best odds are the ones that are keeping their legs under control, in normal positions and are crawling around. Unless there’s a ditch nearby! They’ll always go down hill into any ditch or pond!

The ones that have put down roots in the same spot or have legs in abnormal positions all the time, better be getting better fast because they’re normally going the other way.

One old Charlais cow I went to see up in SW Virginia really surprised me. She had obviously been laying in the same spot for some days but she was up on her sternum with legs under her, so I gave a bottle of CMPK IV and drew up a dose of everything I had in the truck I thought might help. About 4 syringes full of potions I started in administering.

Problem was, I picked a dose of “Recover” antihistamine to administer IV first. It’s supposed to make the cow excitable and give her some adrenalin rush to give her some strength and will power to get up. In this case, she rose up out of that hole she had been laying in and chased me around the truck once before I could get the door open and get in. Still had all the rest of the potions still in my pockets!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)