AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Interesting news about beef check off in the first few minutes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

hinfarm
Posted 4/25/2024 08:24 (#10717283 - in reply to #10717189)
Subject: RE: Interesting news about beef check off in the first few minutes

Amherst WI
I made a comment on X that caught the attention of the state beef board. To their credit they reached out to me to address my concerns.

During the conversation I learned more about the board and how it's an even bigger waste of money than I thought.

I brought up Dr Baker and how he could help promote beef with the carnivore/low carb diets. The director told me that they have spent time trying to market to body builders looking for a high protein diet.

Ok so how many body builders do you know? 1? Maybe 2? WTH? How many people are in your circle that's on some kind of low carb high fat diet? 6-8? It seemed like a total oversight from the board to not be looking at the bigger picture.

Then I was told about a program where the beef checkoff will buy beef to cook in schools for classes to promote beef. The one example she was happy to share and very proud of was an inner-city teacher buying ribeye steaks for the kids to try since most of them never had a ribeye.

Again, I was shocked at how stupid this was, wouldn't that be like having a Bently as a Drivers Ed car? What good is it to promote beef to people who can't afford it?! Take all the other factors that I could be accused of here out of it and just think about that.

Then I asked how the board was formed. There was 22-24 people on the board (way too big IMO). These people where mostly made up of people who bought cattle (JBS, sale barn employees, ect). There were also a handful of producers put on the board through organizations like Farm Bureau and Farmers Union but they were very outnumbered (like 4:1) by industry employees without skin in the game. (see my tag line below)

This whole thing started when we didn't pay our checkoff dues for the animals we sold direct in the 2023 calendar year. I can assure you the effort they spent into tracking us down to get our few $ was 20:1 by the time we sent in what "we owed".

The whole thing is such a joke.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)