AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Storing Butternut squash
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Richardin52
Posted 9/20/2009 08:57 (#853305 - in reply to #851470)
Subject: RE: How we Store Butternut squash

Farmington, Maine
We store Butternut squash from one squash season to the next, here’s how we do it.

I gather squash after the first frost and store them first outdoors under a porch where the frost will not hurt them. They get sunlight and are open to the air but are under a roof. I let them suntan this way for several weeks or until we are going to get cold weather.

Then we move them into storage. Store somewhere that is dry and cool. Do not store on cement or a damp floor and never in a root cellar. The old timers used to store squash in a spare bedroom. I have tried this and it works great so design your storage with that in mind.

If you have a little white mold form around the stem that’s a sure sign your storage is wrong. If you see this wipe them down with a mild Clorox solution and use them soon.

If you seal your squash they will also last longer. You can do this by wiping them down with vegetable oil. Just before winter storage.

We have had Butternut squash from the year before that was as good as our new squash using this storage method.

Good luck
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)