AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Im curouse how pickled eggs are made...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

JoBob
Posted 1/16/2010 11:16 (#1025201 - in reply to #1024800)
Subject: Re: Im curouse how pickled eggs are made...

West Central Wisconsin
I found these recipes on a local web-site. Haven't had time to try them so don't know how they are. I have tied dropping boiled eggs into pickle juice but it doesn't seem to penetrate into the egg very far. The pickled beet juice sounds interesting. I love drinking the juice after finishing off the beets and later peeing red/orange. Joe.

PICKLED EGGS

1 or 2 doz. boiled eggs, shelled
2 c. vinegar
1 tbsp. salt
1 c. water
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 pod hot pepper
1 med. size onion

Heat vinegar and water to boiling and pour over eggs and sliced onion. Let stand 10 days. Very good with beer.

PICKLED EGGS

1 dozen eggs
1 qt. vinegar
4 tbsp. salt
2 tbsp. cayenne pepper
2 tbsp. pickling seasoning

Put vinegar in a pot. Add salt and cayenne pepper. Stir until it comes to a boil. In a jar, put pickling seasoning, pour boiling vinegar in jar with seasoning. Let stand until cooled. Add hard boiled eggs, cover jar. Let set 1 week.

PICKLED GARLIC

2 pounds garlic whole heads
1/3 pound ginger fresh, peeled, thinly sliced
1 cup salt coarse
7 each dried red chiles
2 cups white wine vinegar
1 cup white wine dry
2 1/2 tablespoons mustard seed

Combine garlic in large saucepan with enough water to cover. Place over medium high heat and bring to a boil. Let boil for 2 minutes. Drain thoroughly. When cool enough to handle, peel each clove without crushing. Transfer to non-metallic bowl. Add ginger and salt with enough water to cover. Refrigerate mixture for 2 days.

Drain garlic mixture and rinse thoroughly in cold water. Drain again. Pack ginger and garlic evenly into 7 clean hot half-pint jars to 1/2 inch from the top. Add 1 chili to each jar. Combine vinegar, wine and mustard seed in medium saucepan and bring to rapid boil over high heat. Ladle hot brine to cover garlic mixture.

Run a plastic knife or spatula between mixture and jar to release any air bubbles. Clean rim and threads of jar with damp cloth. Seal with new, scalded, very hot lid. Repeat with remaining jars.

Transfer jars to gently simmering water bath (180-190 degrees) and process for 10 minutes. Let cool on rack. Check for seal. Store in cool dry place.

Makes about 6 jars.

PICKLED EGGS
1 or 2 doz. boiled eggs, shelled

2 c. vinegar
1 tbsp. salt
1 c. water
2 Tbls sugar
Lots of onion

Bring to a boil the above ingredients except the eggs and onions, and pour over the eggs and onions in your container. Then I add peppercorns, hot peppers (if using canned add some juice also to your liking). (optional) Let this set for 10 days to 2 weeks. My son is the only one that eats these, so he is always doctoring them as they go. When you get a good brine going that you like, just boil another batch of eggs when the first is gone and add them to the brine. This will be good for about 2 times. Make sure you make enough brine that your eggs stay covered.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)