AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wives, what's your day like?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

phranny
Posted 1/24/2010 19:52 (#1039423 - in reply to #1038953)
Subject: RE: Wives, what's your day like?

MW ON
I would be one of those wives who does not have an off-farm job. For many years while the children were little, I worked as a seamstress from my home. I did numerous alterations, and then moved into bridal wear. Bridal season conflicted with summer holidays as well as harvest, and so something had to go. I gave up the sewing, and now work side by side with my hubby on our farm. We have since gone entirely cash cropping, and no longer have the livestock.

This time of year is more free for me to pursue my hobbies and interests, such as sewing, knitting, reading, fitness classes. I still go to the shop and help with projects, but mostly my husband does it on his own. I do all the bookwork and paperwork, my husband doesn't even open the mail, and we're both fine with that. I market some of the crop, but I do let him "play" with his portion of the harvest.

In all, I would say I am a very traditional farm wife, as in the "olden days". I grow a huge garden, can and freeze, cook and clean. I find it very rewarding. Our children are 16, 18, and 21, and even at these ages I am very blessed to be available whenever they need me. I've toyed with the idea of returning to some sort of work, but it would be away from home. I know my husband enjoys having his wife home, he tells me often how the stress level has been greatly reduced, knowing that I am there to help and knowing I am just steps away in the house if needed.

This is just our experience, and we are quite happy with the arrangements.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)