AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any Regrets
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Brian Vulgamore
Posted 2/25/2007 18:57 (#110997 - in reply to #110778)
Subject: Re: Any Regrets

Scott City, KS

Tom -

Yes, if RTK and SF2 were the same price and the RTK didn't add extra hassle by moving base stations around, I would jump all over RTK.  I agree, theoretically the RTK should be better.

It's been a couple years since I inquired about RTK, but I thought the further you got away from the base, the less accurate the correction signal.  Yes, the radios might reach but the accuracy would diminish the further you get from the base.  Is this true?

Although 90% of our farm fits in a 17-mile square, we do have a couple rouge fields.  Plus, the geographic center of our farm is not conducive for placing a tower.  Also, what does a guy do when he occasionally travels 30 miles to do a custom job?

Maybe someday there will be a network of RTK towers.  On the other hand, the SF2 signal seems to get better every year (maybe it is just my imagination).  Maybe someday the satellite correction signals will make RTK obsolete...

Like Don, I think the RTK systems are being over hyped in our area.  There are a few progressive Trimble dealers that are extremely persuasive.  Don't get me wrong, they aren't false advertising, but they don't have any practical experience with the SF2 signal in our area either.

- Brian 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)