AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Platform bed vs. box springs & mattress
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

iseedit
Posted 8/1/2010 14:14 (#1296542 - in reply to #1296419)
Subject: RE: Platform bed vs. box springs & mattress

central - east central Minnesota -

IOWAMARK - 8/1/2010 11:44 I don't mean to hijack Illinois Steve's thread on mattresses below but I had another question mattresses. The wife says it time to buy a new bedroom set after almost 34 years of using our current one we bought new as newlyweds. We stopped in Omaha yesterday at N.F.M. & found the bedroom set we want but are torn as to what style of bed frame to get. You can get the traditional box spring-mattress combination or the what they call platform bed where you only use a mattress with no box spring. The bed frame is built up high & has a solid frame for the mattress to sit on which leaves room drawers under the bed. This really appeals to the wife because our bedroom is not real big & I know she would enjoy the extra storage space. My question is does anybody out there have a platform bed & are they just has comfortable has the box-mattress combo? The sales lady that was helping us said she has never slept on a platform bed but thought the combo would be better. She did go on to say however they sell alot of the platform beds. Will the mattress sitting on a piece a plywood be a mistake for comfort? Was thinking of using the California mattress if we did go the platform route. T.I.A. Mark

Platform beds are ok for comfort, about as good as a matt & box combo - but not a replacement for Matt & Boxsprings. The matts will break down quicker and not last as long on a platform as a combo (matt & Box). That's what was found, when working in my past job for 24 yrs. Bedding is the biggest racket in the furniture industry. If you go that route, be sure to rotate your matt - flipping head and foot and get a flippable so you can use the back and front (flipping) also. You really get what you pay for with bedding. More money, should equal better quality / longevity of product - but, BUT . . there are unscrupulous manufactures and dealers out there that try to pass of lower quality as higher quality / priced product. Be sure to have the saleperson or bedding supervisor explain the differences in materials used, construction techniques and mfr's. If a guy finds a very good quality matt with good quality springs - it can work in a platform and last - but it cost. So, are you better off buying less expensive bedding and planning on junking out and replace in a few yrs or putting twice or three times the money in one and hoping it last as long as two or three less expensive sets? ? ? ?  Seems some of the better values in bedding are from the independant shops that sprung up in the larger towns / cites and are not the name branded bedding seen across america.

Edit: I should add, bedding mfr's used to offer a platform matt - I dought the major's do today as they really want to selling bedding and to sell bedding it has to wear out quickly. On average a good quality bed should be dumped and replaced about every 10 yrs. coincidentally, that's about how often your body changes and could require different support . . . .

Edited by iseedit 8/1/2010 14:17
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)