AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

rent, economies of size, and government payments
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

John Burns
Posted 8/18/2007 18:12 (#189332 - in reply to #189082)
Subject: How dare you tell the king he is naked.....

Pittsburg, Kansas

That is some brutal honesty but it needs to be said. I have long proclaimed that the farm program is not an economic program but a social program. Most government social programs don't work that well and are not very efficient.

It is not a popular position among farmers and I don't espouse it often, lest I be chastised for even thinking of such a thing - no government program!!!!!

Kind of hard to get off the government teat once your used to it though.

I think if government programs went away it would be tough in the short run for our operation but better in the long run as new opportunities would open up.  

I have seen a few farmers squeezed out of farming over the years and most of them were kind of bitter and disillusioned about it. Then a year later after they have a new job that actually has benefits, weekends off and a regular paycheck (usually the farm has been breaking even and the wife supporting the family with her check) they think it is the best thing in the world and wished they would have quit farming earlier. Some have kept a 40 or 80, a tractor and a small cow heard to stay involved and for the lifestyle they are used to. Some have some farmland they can rent out for income. Getting rid of farm programs would cause a number of weak players to exit earlier than they would have otherwise.

John 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)