AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn Hybrid labeling---companies using the same genetics.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

LHaag
Posted 8/21/2007 01:34 (#190640 - in reply to #190135)
Subject: Whose Responsibility - Genetic Families

Colby, Kansas
Gary,

I'm sorry I missed the point of your question the first time I read this. I believe it is the responsibility of the seedsman unto the point that he has the information. In past experiences without some "help" from folks in the know I would not have had the information necessary though standard dealer communications to make sound recommendations. Your dealer forging those relationships with those people is important. I'm not talking about corporate espionage here, but finding someone in the company who will be straight with you about how similar/different the parenting of products x and y are. Maybe even when products x and y are the same but is only currently available in the company x bag, one season knowing that information saved me hundreds of bags in sales.

I think the selection of hybrids and genetic diversity deal is a balancing act. I often think differently than your example,,, e.x. there is a new hybrid out that I know nothing about, haven't seen it, hasn't been in replicated university trials, haven't seen it on dad's farm, etc. I don't feel real comfortable about recommending that to a long-time or worse yet first-time customer. BUT,, If I know that this new product shares a female with a hybrid that I'd gladly plant half the farm too I can typically recommend it to the customer and sleep at night.

Diversity is important, but so is recognizing when a genetic family of products works well in your production system. This isn't directed at your post Gary you bring up fine points, but sometimes I think people get too carried away with diversity as opposed to what are my conditions and what will work.

Lucas

Edited by LHaag 8/21/2007 01:35
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)