AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Finished Harvesting Corn Friday
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Deadduck
Posted 8/26/2007 22:02 (#193720 - in reply to #193678)
Subject: Re: Finished Harvesting Corn Friday

Northeast Louisiana
Thanks Ed. Katrina didn't really hit us here, though the wind laid some of our rice on the ground. We're a couple hundred miles from New Orleans. We'll see how the rest of the year goes, starting on soybeans Monday, then rice after that. Should be through by mid-Sept if everything goes well.
All of my corn was irrigated, it wouldn't have been nearly as good if we couldn't water. We furrow irrigated 4 times in June, and ran pivots 6 times. It made at least 50 bushels difference.
There are some folks down here who didn't do so well. It was dry in March and some people were too dry to plant until mid-April. That corn doesn't look very good. And it was dry in June in some areas. But for the most part, we just had a good corn year with good early weather and moderate temps during pollination.
I started selling corn early, before we even had any in the ground. $4.00 in my pocket seemed too good to pass up. Heck, I've sold a fair amount for next year and even some for 2009!
As far a new equipment goes, nah, most of what I have is adequate for my acres so I'll probably just pay off a couple of loans and stick the rest in the bank. For every good year there's a bad one or two!
I've seen you say you were dry up there. I hope yours turns out better than you think.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)