AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Started shelling corn today.....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

wildcat1
Posted 8/28/2007 23:48 (#194901)
Subject: Started shelling corn today.....

South Central Kansas
We opened up three fields of corn today here in south central Kansas. Yields are about what I had guessed. I cheated, (hehe) weighed a few ears last week, then hand shelled them, moisture tested, then figured it up.

We're in about a 30 inch rainfall area here so we drop about 20K and emerge 18K or so, that was the figure I plugged into the calculation. Anyway, 121 bu corn is the best I have ever harvested. Looks like we might average 130 to 140 per acre. We've had nearly 40 inches of rain since March 11 so all this corn lacked was fertilizer to make a higher yield at that population.

Yield monitor on the 2388 was reading 70 to 129 bu per acre near the hedge rows today. Some years we never have an ear on the corn for 50 feet or so. Had two places in one field that hit 183 bu. never even heard of dryland corn like that around here, let alone harvest any.

We binned all of the borders at 18 to 22 moisture. Will haul to elevator when it gets down to 15.5. All the elevators around here start the dock at 15.6 and rip us 4%. Wasn't long ago that they docked starting at 14.1%.

After the 7 bu wheat crop we had here, this may be the corn crop of a lifetime. Hard to imagine what it's like to harvest that 250+ corn that we hear about up in the corn states. (or Western Kansas irrigated)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)