AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fertilizer value of Ash from Benton, MN Turkey litter power plant
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

scmn_06
Posted 9/6/2007 01:37 (#199141 - in reply to #198957)
Subject: RE: Here is your pics..........

Blue Earth, MN
I've resisted up to now but I have to comment based on your pictures of the application. Even though it is turkey litter turned into ash, it looks very similar to our ETOL product and the method of which our neighbors have spread it.

I have neighbors who have spread the ash from Corn plus (Winnebago, MN) ethanol plant and from what I can tell it is a VERY sensitive product. Where it was stockpiled, nothing grew this year. Around the stockpile on the very edges, the corn is still as green as it was in July. Two feet away from that it is brown and is starting to mature. A couple of my friends who work at the ETOL plant say that if you get some of the ash on your rubber boots and come in contact with H2O, your boots will begin to literally melt. Our neighbors have NO idea what the composition is, they are basically applying for the micro's as you state above.

Application was a joke as all I saw this spring was a HUGE white cloud one morning thinking some elevator blewup, but found out our neighbors were spreading ash. I think it went 500-1000 feet in the atmosphere rather then setteling oin the ground.

Our neighbors tried various spreading techniques, spinners, side slingers, tossing by hand, etc and all of them resulted in a very un-Uniform spread of the product. I think our ETOL plant is going to pelletatize the ash now. I personally think it has benefit if APPLIED correctly. As for now WAY TOO sensitive to just throw out in a field and expect an immidiate 25 bpa yield increase. JMHO.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)