AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My New JD color display & combine………..
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Arnie
Posted 9/8/2007 23:24 (#200654)
Subject: My New JD color display & combine………..

I hope someone has done this as I am at a loss on this one.  We bought a new combine and in the manual for the new GS2 Display Guidance Systems from JD for the 2600 color display page 85-1 states “Non-John Deere GPS receivers that output correct NMEA 0183 standard messages can be used for documentation and manual guidance on GreenStar application.  It is critical that receiver is setup to output following messages:

GGA, GSA, RMC setup at 19200 baud (This is fixed and Non-adjustable), Data Bits 8, Parity non, Stop 1, Flow Control non, 1 or 5 Hz output rate (Recommended operation at 5 Hz. Guidance requires 5 Hz.)  Without these messages, receiver will not function with GreenStar application.  A harness and installation instructions are available to connect DB9 port or receiver to correct pins of display connector.  See a John Deere dealer for more information.

I have done all that including verifying NMEA strings with Windows HyperTerminal from my “Third Party Receiver”.  Additionally I have gone through my local Deere dealer and patiently waited for the official pin outs of the 26pin connector on the 2600 color display.  There is an adaptor cable that connects the new display to the old 10 packs in the right front corner of the cab.  I am told that the old displays plug right into the same set of twin 10pack connectors.  I even bought the official 9 pin rs232 cable and had the local put it in according to spec.  Together we have rang out the pins with a meter to verify such.  We have even updated the 2600n to new firmware which yielded a new imbedded ICON for designating com1 and com2 on the harness for serial input and have tried both of those.  Continuing on we have tried 4800, 9600, and 19200 along with flipping TRX and RXD around to cover my basis on the null modem connection game as well.  Today the local  swapped out the 2600 display just in case.  I don’t seem to be able to find anyone that has made this work (thus this post) even though it is the official party line in the documentation and dealer updated documents. I distinctly remember at Husker Harvest Days last year the JD guys said the new display would except NMEA data strings from “Third Party Providers” just like the manual states……………….?

I most certainly am capable of screwing up once in awhile but I have trouble shot a lot of other TX, RX, GND, Baud, NMEA characters, and related problems in my day and this one is really kicking my tail!! 

I and the dealer are hoping an expert from HHD next week can come out and show me how stupid I am because at this point I just want to hook up my existing GPS, that happens to work with other serial fed hardware, and do some yield monitoring during harvest.  I am really excited to try the new green bullet rotor as we have used red rotors for years.  We run green tractors with some yellow and blue implements so based on our “colorful” past I think we try to keep an open mind on things.  I did not think it worth the hassle or the money to put an Insight into this combine but perhaps I should have?

Arnie

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)