AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lessons learned in corn population goals.........
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Cowboycorn
Posted 9/23/2007 17:18 (#208210)
Subject: Lessons learned in corn population goals.........

north central Oklahoma
My late July corn is still hammering along and looking pretty good. I had nipped the population in July seeding rate fearing a hot (and we got it) August, but fortunately we had plenty of moisture going into August. I noticed sucker plants developing early on the shorter (96 day) carn, but it also developed on the 110 day too. The pecliar thing about the sucker, and I thought it might just be a smaller plant but try to set an ear, is that the ear is on top of each and every sucker plant. This is planting population of 16,000. I think I can estimate that perhaps 3-4 % have suckered, and one can see plant topped ears all across the field. They also look eaten too, his may be deer, but I don't really tracks around those plants. could be birds too I guess. The ears are pretty much huskless, in the open. Just thought it was kinda strange, never experienced what suckered corn would do. Thought the flex part of corn would just make bigger ears on fewer plants and I was preparing for heat and backed off the plant rate.

Won't do dat again.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)