AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tram Lines in Wheat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Carl In Georgia
Posted 10/15/2007 08:11 (#219689 - in reply to #219071)
Subject: Thanks for the input...

Ashburn, GA, (very close to Heaven!)

Well, my average wheat grower is a cotton and peanut farmer, and will certainly be irrigated with a pivot in most cases, and he'll be planting either soybeans or cotton behind the wheat. A couple will be putting in peanuts (tighter planting window), and maybe sorghum as well.

I have two related logistical problems. First, none of us have 30' drills, and most spray with 54' to 90' booms. Drill widths are 15', 18', or 20' (?). Another problem is I have good farmers, yes, but this wheat is a new or renewed thing for them, and they just aren't going with big acreages, and the acreages they are planting may not be a perennial thing. Investing in elaborate tram line equipment is not practical at this time.

I don't see any way to get the increased population in the border rows in a potential tram line system here. We may be able to engineer a way to stop up some drill tubes, and to even remotely operate the stopped up tubes. Hmm, again, killing the tram line sounds good to me, and an advantage to that, perhaps, is that we may have a minsicule amount of "killed residue" there to reduce erosion some degree.

We'll figure out something, and these comments have been beneficial.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)