AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grazing cornstalks
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 10/23/2007 00:16 (#224906 - in reply to #221046)
Subject: RE: Grazing cornstalks - another question

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Mark, I never did say thank you for the reply....thanks.  The field I am thinking of grazing has NO grass at all. As this is an experiment of sorts ( I need some fall grazed cornstalks for spring strip till tests) but I also want to think about the cattle, I will just leave some gates open to some grass and see which they prefer. I don't think there will be "piles" of grain in the field, at least I hope not!

We are still a ways from being able to get into the fields in W WI to harvest. Very little corn harvested. My clay is just saturated with moisture. After a dry summer we had 14" of rain in one storm and it seems like an inch or two every week since. I had to drive the tractor on an area of a field for another project this past weekend and it compacted my clay like cement.

I would not want to be on any of these fields with wheel traffic for at least several days to a week yet if we get drying weather. If we don't get some drying weather it may be best to wait for a frost. Any fall tillage seems to be out of the question all though I did see a neighbor out with a disc on some blown down then chopped corn stalk stubble. Although the surface didn't look to bad I shudder to think what that heavy clay looks like a couple inches down.

Thanks again.

Jim at Dawn

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)