AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fall fertilizer application on hay
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 10/17/2007 07:01 (#221080 - in reply to #221026)
Subject: Matt is correct.

Little River, TX
The neighbor may have drawn the wrong conclusion from what he may have experienced.
If you soils are heavy clay as are mine, the following can be true. The soil test will show an over abundance of potash while the crop is showing potash deficiency. This is the way things are with high CEC clay soils. Another characteristic of clay soils is potash moves slower than in sandy soils, and will take longer to get down in the root zone with top dressing.
The theory is not to apply more than 500 lbs/A of Murate of Potash at one time. It is a reasonable theory because too much chlorine at one time can be temporarily detrimental to a crop. My observations agree with the theory.
Murate of Potash is nothing more than Potassium Chloride which is a salt. some people use a more refined version as a salt substitute if they need to avoid sodium.
In my soil, a test result in the 450 ppm K range is desired, while in a sandy loam soil 150 ppm K is the desired test result. My grass hay should have a tissue analysis in the 2.00% K range while my alfalfa should be in the 2.50% K range. The mineral analysis in the hay test will be a little lower. Hay is cut about a week after a plant sample is pulled , and is a whole top sampling while a tissue sample is the top 6 inches.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)