AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

electric fence and deer?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 10/24/2007 10:59 (#225758 - in reply to #225625)
Subject: RE: electric fence and deer?

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Chad,

Thanks to you and the others for the information. This was a pretty long run of 14 gauge good quality steel wire. I can see where 12-1/2 would be better but this is just a pasture divider and the 14 is so much easier to move and take up than the 12.5

I am not familiar with the splice you mention. I have been using a system called "Gripple" which seems to work well once I figured it out. It has a pretty neat and easy to use tensioner system so you can get the fence tight again. Does the Nicopress have some particular advantage? I have never seen a gripple let loose nor break. Compared to just a knot, I am sure a splicer or the gripple is better.

Maybe the tieing some rags on the wire so it can be seen more easily would help. I'm sure the deer would just jump it if they saw it. There are a number of places on the 12 ga red barb perimeter fence with good sized tufts of deer belly fur along the top wire. I doubt they will break that one.

Another week or so I will be taking up the divider wires for the winter, I'll add some rags when I put them out next spring. Thanks all.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 10/24/2007 11:00
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)