AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

HOW MUCH DOES GUIDANCE REALLY SAVE ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

MikeInFrance
Posted 6/16/2006 12:22 (#19870 - in reply to #19868)
Subject: Re: HOW MUCH DOES GUIDANCE REALLY SAVE ?

Alsace 47°52'46"N 7°24'30"E
Ok Chad, your experience is different .... Nonetheless, there is no guarantee of a 100% reliability 100% of the time .... I think you will have to agree with that. In fact, my dealer was quite surprised when I told him of my experience: he thought I was running the tractor alone and would stop sometime for lunch, refueling, filling the planter, etc..... as his up-till now custommers did.
Under these conditions, they had never experienced any weakness, and I agree that when the signal is OK, operating with whatever appliance is definely an improvement on manual guidance.
What I cannot agree with, is that these systems work 100% of the time. Reports/complaints from others on this forum are proving that this is a fact. That TRIMBLE is publishing a free planning software that gives you the foreseable reliability of GPS reception should be proof enough.
Now, if you have a reliable enough signal in your area 24/24 H , 365/365 days, you are a lucky guy. I was specially reacting to the answer of farmboy to still learnin's question: what do you do when the system doesn't work?
Saying it simply works is not the answer! It just happens that it does not work! The thing I have experienced is that those disruptions are (a) foreseable and (b) of short duration so that you should arrange your working schedule accordingly.
You can compare this technology to the mobile phone technology: you don't have 100% network coverage, so when driving on a trip, you may be in a dead spot .... I will not throw away my mobile phone because of that, and I will not say that GPS technology is of no use because of those limitations. But knowing there are limitations, and what these limitations are, gives me the possibility to elaborate and apply plan B.

JMHO
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)