AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why no AMS in glyphosate
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 6/18/2006 18:20 (#20380 - in reply to #20348)
Subject: RE: Why no AMS in glyphosate

A couple years ago I wondered and I researched the question on the internet.

First thing AMS does is tie up hardness and dirt ions in the water before they can tie up glyphosate. So it acts as an effective softener to protect the glyphosate. To do that it has to hit the water before the glyphosate gets there. And has to have time to complete the ion tie up reaction. So it needs to be thoroughly mixed.

Second thing AMS does is encourage some weeds (velvetleaf for sure, probably others) to take up glyphosate more effectively. For that job it could be put in any time during the mixing of the spray brew.

As for surfactant additives, at least on generic maker of glyphosate with surfactants has told me that more won't hurt, might even be a benefit.

The standard mix for AMS is 1.7 # per acre. Or 1.7# per ten gallons for the average brew. It can be mixed 1# per gallon of warm water. Last I looked (and I just found my notes) 41.2 g of AMS will dissolve in 100 g of water. Or 41.2 # of AMS in 100 # of water, 2# to 0.585 gallon of water. But after dissolving a sack (51#) in 24 gallons of water, I prefer to dissolve that sack in 40 gallons of water. Then measuring is less critical when I add that solution to the spray tank. Which I now do by a suction hose on the sprayer pump.

Gerald J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)