AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Topcon PCS-100 vs. Trimble EZ Guide Plus
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

chuckster
Posted 1/3/2008 10:11 (#274526 - in reply to #267667)
Subject: Re: Topcon PCS-100 vs. Trimble EZ Guide Plus

Where Lewis and Clark finished the rum
Another thought/option - Sitemate/Guidemate from Farmworks. Can be run on laptop (vs 11 is the place to be if you want a coverage map AND guidance) or PDA - yuck - but if you "downgrade" to vs 9.xx you can actually map up to 8 different attributes - ala specific weeds, rocks, other hazards, different rates of fertilizer, etc, which is really where PA starts paying (after you steer straight). I think both current versions are 12 ish or X2 or whatever, but the "improvements" have been 3D display of coverage and steering, at the loss of attribute marking, and thus management capability. This was my first guidance system, and I now use it only occassionally for guidance, but I use it most of the time for logging attributes. Don't expect FW to be responsive to add attribute logging into their current versions, though, they seem to think that improving their guidance display is their best use of programming time even in the face of relatively cheap autosteering systems. HOWEVER, I digress.

I run on used (ebay) Panasonic CF-27 (300 - 500 mhz) machine. 300 Mhz is minimum for guidance. And you can run a Garmin GPS. I've actually run a 1 hz GPSMAP 76, but would NOT recommend that. But a Garmin 16 or is it 17 with WAAS and 5 hz would work.

The downside of this setup, of course, is the upgrade path to automated steering - EZSteer etc, but I think FW has a Raven path for autosteering, haven't used it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)