AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Best guidance system?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

DG N. AL
Posted 12/26/2007 10:36 (#268393 - in reply to #268378)
Subject: RE: Best guidance system?

Hillsboro, AL

Hawk - 12/26/2007 08:52 OK all you techy gurus. I need to know which guidance system would work the best for me.

That is like asking which is better, Chevy or Ford. Everyone has an opinion, that is not necessarily based on fact.

I want to use one for strip till so I don't have to use markers. Would also like to use one on the combine for harvesting soybeans. We drill all our beans and harvest at angle. Get somewhat weary by days end starring at header ends. Want something that I won't have to put up a tower or the like but will give me sub-inch accuracy for strip till. Don't necessarily need rtk but may be ok if not much more money.

The RTK is the only system that will give you sub-inch accuracy and RTK requires a base station. You might be in an area where there is an RTK network. If so, you might not need your own base. OminStar HP will give you 2"-"4 accuracy and John Deere SF2 will give 4"-6" accuracy. Both will give pass to pass accuracy in the 2" range and will probably be good enough for strip till.

Also needs to be easily moved from implement to implement. T.I.A. Hawk.

The electric motor steering systems (Trimble Ez-steer and John Deere ATU) are generally easier to move from vehicle to vehicle. However, they tend to have less accuracy than integrated (hydraulic) units. Another possibility is the MOJO RTK from Leica with an Ez-Steer motor. But the current MOJO does not allow you to store guidance lines and I would consider that a must for strip till. You did not say want equipment you run. That will be a factor in your decision. Is your equipment autosteer ready? Does it have steering valves already installed?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)