AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

haemophilus somnus
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

pdh75
Posted 1/6/2008 19:57 (#277171)
Subject: haemophilus somnus

MB-SK
Weaned our calves 6 weeks ago and noticed some calves coughing, but they seemed to recover on their own. One died 2 weeks ago, it was fine one day and the next day it just could not get up. Thought maybe it was grain overload as they were getting use to eating some grain. Now I had 2 more die in the last 5 days. Got the vet out to Autopsy one. He says haemophilus somnus. Valves on the heart were affected causing the quick death.
I guess I'll have to give Nuflor or a tetracycline to the rest tomorrow (90 calves) to prevent further damages. THe coughing is not a problem right now, but is the damage already done or is their more coming?
ANybody have a similar experience as to what I might expect ahead in the next few weeks. Are these calves now going to be poor gainers? Are the heifers now ruined for keeping as replacements?

Any input would be appreciated!! This sucks loosing 600-700 lb calves. I used to having near 100% calving rate and weaning problems have been absolutely nill the past years.

Cows are annually vaccinated with Sentry9 and calves all get a shot of Pyramid4+Presponse before going to pasture. The pyramid4 doesn't cover the H.somnus. I used to use the Pfizer resvac4+somubac and one shot ultra which did cover me for H.somnus. I guess I'll have to go back to that. (FOr me the top of my list is now summer pneumonia and haemophilus somnus vaccinations)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)