AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

what precision equipment to buy?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Macy
Posted 7/14/2006 17:38 (#26610 - in reply to #24071)
Subject: Re: what precision equipment to buy?

You say you are looking at getting into Precision Ag, but the only thing you mentioned is yield monitoring. I'm guessing that you are also talking about some type of guidance for your other vehicles? For yield mapping, either the GS1 or the PF3000 will be very adequate. If you have a combine operator that will actually take notice of a yield map being formed on the screen, using it to investigate stand count or other conditions when an unexpected low area starts to form, then maybe the GS2 or Insight would be worth the extra money. Only you know what kind of operator you will have in the combine.

I'm out of touch on guidance stuff. It all happened after I lost the opportunity to spend time in the field. From what I gather, lightbars are likely a novelty. You will really want to go to automated steering down the road. And, from what I read, something like an EZ-Steer or JDUniversal will be the automated guidance system that is most easily moved from machine to machine.

Mapping software: What do you have now. Do you have any crop recordkeeping software? If so, wouldn't you want to integrate maps into that? If you don't have a solution, then do you want full crop recordkeeping, or just mapping. If just mapping, then get the software distributed with the brand of yield monitor you go with. If you want recordkeeping, then shop for recordkeeping software, making sure that it can handle maps from the hardware you are considering. You will not be able to get this software from an iron bender. (Note of bias: I write crop recordkeeping software).

What about variable rate application, or even documentation of conventional field operations for automated recordkeeping? Were I doing that, and if I needed to run on multiple colors, I would buy an Insight and use it on both yield mapping and application. Or, I would buy the PF3000 for yield mapping and then go with SiteMate from FarmWorks for VRA or field application documentation.

I'm sorry you didn't get more responses. I knew it would take a while to answer such a vague scenario. I guess others must have, as well. However, I'm waiting on a delayed flight now, so lots of time to kill :)

Good luck with your decision. And, as you get closer to a decision, you should be able to post some much more specific questions and get good details from the guys on this forum. David's advice sounds like he has done a good job of evaluting the options.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)