AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cover crops
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ed Winkle
Posted 7/11/2006 08:45 (#25535 - in reply to #25517)
Subject: Re: Cover crops

Martinsville, Ohio
Good questions. I never liked cereal rye in front of corn but the guys using the Oregon rye say it is as good as any cover crop because you can get it established in about any situation, you get less N but you know that up front and you get cover and rooting which you won't get on a failed planting. We all know about failed plantings after seeding new waterways for years and years...

Oats are also easily established as a cover crop and work well here but no one does it in front of corn but a handful of farmers trying to improve their soil in a notill situation. I don't mean all of us who don't plant covers don't care about our soil I am saying we have not learned the benefits of covers and which one work best for us in front of the next crop.

Covers are highly discussed but rarely used in my experience... It is so hard just to get the normal workload done but we are all in this new age of farming trying to reduce fuel costs and unnecessary tillage yet produce the yields that pay the bills...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)