AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pioneer wants your data
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

SeedSllr
Posted 7/12/2006 14:57 (#25897 - in reply to #25845)
Subject: Re: Pioneer wants your data

dloc..
It's nice that you recommend the full length, full width strips. Statistically you're probably right....if you have access to the GIS software you speak of and the time, patience and ability to sort it all out and apply those nuances to your operation. I dare say that most farmers that I deal with don't have access to that software and yield monitors are used to check the final total yield of this 40 to the one across the road. That does not fairly compare one hybrid to another, if all you want to look at is hybrid differences. You can't compare the ultimate top speed of two cars if one runs in sand and the other runs on pavement. Get them both under the same conditions. And test them several times.

It's nice that you question the elevator's scales. Since they are commercial scales, are used to buy and sell grain, yes, they are calibrated and tested by the state's weight and measure bureau on a regular basis. I'd be surprised if all states don't have a similar program.

It's nice that you question my distrust of yield monitors. No, I don't have an intimate knowlege of yield monitors and how each model works. I do know that on nearly every one that I help to calibrate in the fall, (using my weigh wagon by the way), needs some tweaking to get it back to zero. Any many times during harvest, when we spot calibrate the monitor, the calibration has changed. So, when I have someone tell me that their yield comparisons are based on a yield monitor that hasn't been reclibrated, you can understand how I can doubt those results just a little bit. As I said in my original post, if they are operated correctly and calibration is done as needed, they can be a great, time saving tool to compare yields with.

Now, you or others can help me to understand them a little better. Do the newer generations of monitors coming onto the market do any better job of compensating for changes in test weight?? Will they accurately measure the bushels (by weight) of 56# corn compared to 61# corn?? In the past, I'll have to say they would not!!

Thanks for the help.

SS
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)