AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sorghum-sudangrass after wheat?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Cliff SEIA
Posted 7/14/2006 09:50 (#26494 - in reply to #26463)
Subject: RE: Sorghum-sudangrass after wheat?

Back in '01 we planted several acres of sorghum-sudangrass on some preventitive plant corn ground. If I remember right we finished planting beans towards the end of June so it would have been almost this late in the year when we planted the s-s. Our plan was to bale several cuttings off of it but it got away from us so we ended up renting a disk mower conditioner and mowed it down on 9-11-01 then chopped it several days later. The next year we planted a little more and since we knew what we were doing then we mowed it earlier and I think we baled two crops of hay off of it. The downside to baling it is that it takes the better part of a week of good weather to get it dry but it will make alot of tonnage and the cows really seemed to like it. What worked the best for us was letting cows graze it during the summer, we had two small fields (around 4-5 acres each) beside one of our pastures that we let them rotationally graze all summer and I don't think I've ever seen cows as happy as when we'd let them into one of those fields.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)