AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How to get better truck fuel mileage?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

shade
Posted 3/1/2008 18:19 (#323364 - in reply to #322985)
Subject: Re: How to get better truck fuel mileage?

NC Kansas
Worked on a farm that had a T400 KW and 42' Wilson hopper bottom. Truck had a 3176 cat and would tare at about 25,500. Licensed to haul 80,000. We had grain haulers help haul out crop one summer and they were running big Pete's and 3 axle trailers with super singles. They were tagged to 85,500 and crossed the scale empty between 30,000 and 31,000. I think one of them was close to 31,500. (He had a porta toilet, microwave, TV, etc.)

Hauled the same amount of product legally and had quite a bit less stuff to worry about. (1 less axle, 2 less airbags/springs, 2 less brake pots, 4 less brake pads, 2 less brake drums, etc.) Granted he had 2 less tires, but every one of those guys talked about rotating their super singles every 25,000-30,000 miles. I don't know about you guys, but I hate tire work. They pushed a heck of a lot of iron up the road when deadheading also.

Now take the rig loaded to 85,500 and put him on the big road and ooops, shouldn't be there, legal weight on Interstate is 80,000. We hauled quite a bit of corn to Oklahoma and fertilizer back, and even though the interstate was a little out of the way, and there was a little toll to pay for the turnpike. I think it was still a more economical road. You take a 2 lane and stop every 25-30 miles (13-14 times), or get on that 4 lane and stop at each end of the toll road (2-3 times). Brakes cost $$$, fuel, time and parts. Stepping on the brakes hurts the bottom line, unless you're avoiding a crash!

Edited by shade 3/2/2008 10:47
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)