AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Jd 70 oil
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Rodney R
Posted 3/2/2008 18:40 (#324020 - in reply to #323644)
Subject: Re: Jd 70 oil

SE PA
You said a plug BEHIND the hyd oil plug..... do you mean towards the front of the tractor? If so, that was gear oil, out of the tranny. As I recall there are 2 tranny plugs, PLUS the little plug in the bottom of the 1st reduction gear housing (bottom of the belt pully housing). The 2 do run together, but the oil has to go through a bearing, so it goes slow...... 30w in the engine, hy-guard (or similar) in the hydraulics, hy-guard in the pto (manual calls for 10w in the live pto), and like 90w in the tranny. I was using GL-5 in the tranny, but I have now found out that you should use GL-1 on account of the possibility of the GL-5 forming acid and destroying the brass/copper???? The details are foggy, but those are straight cut, big toothed gears - It takes an oil that will ride up the teeth to lubricate everything, and depending on climate, you may have to go heavier/lighter if it makes a lot of gear noise..... I think it's like 7 gallon in the tranny, and like 1.5 qts in the belt pulley area.

Rodney
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)