AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

old pokey ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 3/20/2008 08:52 (#337766 - in reply to #337685)
Subject: RE: Kevin, do you harvest much green or tough material?

If you are going to do many acres of fescue, it's a good idea to get the wear blades up front of the impellers sharpened and setup close to the kidney. Other than that, setting are pretty easy and nothing special. Sounds like you have a dry climate and usually dont encounter much green or ropy material, that's great. We too are in a dry harvest climate, its just those occasional years that we get a rain on the windrows that give us fits.

I'll be swapping out the helicals will no wires, for a set with wires hopefully this season. The helicals are the way to go IMO, just for other setting possibilities and experimenting, I want to try a set of helicals with small wires. The gorden bars are unreal. They really do change things up. In hot dry harvest, they work fantastic. They grip the fescue straw better and move it through the machine rather than slip by it and let the straw stall out and grind up. However, this last year we had that once in a while rain on the rows, and I ended up removeing several of them and put a few spikes and some regular specialty bars back on.

"So far" I have'nt had the opportunity to try any direct cutting of grass. I hope to change that real soon. But I'm sure the combine settings for direct cut are different than windrowed dry stuff, so.......... But I'd start out with the concaves way open. Like maybe open them to where they're even with the grates, then close them only an inch.(that's where I run mine) The crossflow fans locally seem to run around 600-650, so that's maybe a good place to start then slow it if you need to. The shoe usually stays around 3/16"-1/4", and the chaffer (short toothe, cloz slat) allmost closed in the front, 1/2" center, and 5/8 rear. One thing that does seem to be esential is that you have the rubber air dam in good condition on the back of the chaffer. If you have a chopper and run it in high, you may have some other issues that'll show up and I dont know what to tell you about fixing them. Seems the IH chopper can create enough irregular air currents because of its location in the machine that it "can" effect ability of the machine in small ligh weight seeds.

Hope that helps some. If you can, take lots of pictures and make notes of your setting in the grass and what the settings did. I'd sure be interested to learn what you come up with.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)