AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question on tiling
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Luke Skywalker
Posted 7/23/2006 13:37 (#29192 - in reply to #29112)
Subject: 3" vs. 4"

Arva, Ontario
In my part of the world, drainage is a fairly mature business, and the contractors we have are often 2nd or 3rd generation. I'll paraphrase their experiences.

3" will do a great job as a lateral, but will require grade to keep clean. Anything less than 0.3-0.4% (depending on length) and they will revert to a 4" pipe.

We've used 3" on a couple of farms, because at the time it was 3 cents a foot cheaper (15 vs 18 cents - Boy, those were the days!), and our contractor had built a special low disturbance shank and boot for 3". It was A LOT easier to get the runs settled back down to level compared to the big shank and 4" shoe or worse the shoe for 6's and 8's. Since then, this contractor has passed away (at 47), and the special 3" shank is in the weeds. Furthermore, 4" is now 30 cents and 3" is 27-28 cents.

Ten years ago we used 3", put them in at 30' for about the same money as 4" on 35' intervals, and they levelled up a lot easier. Since then, with the small price difference, and few contractors that are willing to screw around with 3", there is a lot less of it going in.

If you have good grade and can maintain it, 3" pipe is fine.

You pay for tile whether you have it or not - so I'll have it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)