AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Canola in central Kansas
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

lhaag
Posted 7/23/2006 22:55 (#29320 - in reply to #29288)
Subject: RE: Canola in central Kansas

I'm not sure about finesse, we tried some in NW Kansas last year, all our chemfallow ground had had a full rate of Amber at the beginning of the summer, this rendered our Canola efforts in no-till worthless. I had to find some ground that had been subjected to recreational tillage for my plots. Was pleased with the yields, K-State varities Abilene and Sumner did the best. This fall we have reserved some no-till ground that should be ok on herbicide residual. Last fall trying to use a Sunflower no-till drill in tilled ground was ugly resulting in poor depth control, and thus poor stand. Was extremely dry at planting time as well, we basically dusted it in. I think that depth control is the most important part of establishing a stand, you didn't say if you had tilled the ground yet or not, I beleive that the no-till will result in better depth control. We will see how well our JD1990 CCS will do with it this fall as were still trying to figure out which rollers and settings to use. My best resouce has been Cynthia Labarge and Mike Stamm at K-State. Not sure that this answers any questions for you, it just our experiences.

Best Regards,

Lucas Haag
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)