AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What RR Corn needs the least nitrogen?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 7/24/2006 23:49 (#29607)
Subject: What RR Corn needs the least nitrogen?

After finding a tougher layer from the shallow disking I did last fall after having potash spread, I'd like to not do anything before the planter for next year's corn. Its sure I'll need to put down some N, maybe some MAP and more potash. Can I wash the dry MAP and potash in with a spray of say 150 pounds of 32% to the acres or should I look for P and K in liquid and mix with that 32% (or with 28%) and apply with my side dresser that uses planter opener, shoe, and closing disk. Then I'd put another 150 pounds of 32% when the corn was up 7 or 8", every other row. I made the side dresser out of a planter so could use the markers but I should be able to follow the bean rows too.

Question is, for Central Iowa, Nicolet Webster Clarion soil group, what RR corn will do better than the 143.5 I did last year with that same 110 total units of N (after 49 bushel beans).

I planted Otlie RR 108 day last year. And when I took my best ears to my seed salesman's demo plot he was ashamed of them. He did admit that plot had lots of manure applied.

Is there a RR corn suited for 100 to 108 days in central Iowa that doesn't respond to more nitrogen that will get along super on 110 pounds of N per acres or less?

Gerald J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)