AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

eastern black nightshade in conventional soys
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ed Winkle
Posted 7/27/2006 08:06 (#30252 - in reply to #30183)
Subject: How about Shattercane?

Martinsville, Ohio

I know you have probably dealt with that one Mike.

Have been spraying a patch at nearby field at their request and it looks like a Nam zone and I intend to keep it that way...

Horror stories on it and cousin Johnson from the 60's in these parts...

"

SHATTERCANE

Shattercane is an escaped forage sorghum that has become a weed because of its ability to establish itself from seed that remains viable in the soil for one or more seasons. Wild cane is an annual reproducing by seed. Plants begin growth from June to August and matures seeds from August to October. The common weedy characteristic of shattercane is the ability of its seeds to persist in the soil for up to 13 years.

Shattercane grows in most sections of the state. It is mainly a weed of cultivated field crops and is most serious in southern and central Nebraska. Selecting high quality seed produced in areas free of shattercane is one effective non-chemical control method. Cleaning machinery, before leaving an infested field, crop rotations, deep plowing, hand-roguing, and till- or ridgeplanting techniques are all further examples of non-chemical control methods that are effective in reducing shattercane problems."

I have no idea how it got here...

Ed

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)