AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mold in beans
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

pat-michigan
Posted 8/10/2006 17:46 (#34449 - in reply to #34257)
Subject: RE: Mold in beans

Thumb of Michigan
We've been battling mold for years, heres what we think helps (in order of effectiveness)

1. No-till with heavy cover. 2 theorys on why its better for mold. Theory one is that the spores can't get through the residue to infect the flowers. Theory 2 is that the sclerotinia are fooled into thinking that the crop is canopied because its dark from the residue. They release the spores into unflowered plants. I don't know which theory is correct, but either works for me.

2. Lots of varities in our maturity group here that have resistance. May have to shop for seed traits harder.

3. Row width. We've planted in a multitude of row widths, like 30" the best. Not for mold, for yeild. BUT we have less chance of mold vs narrow rows also.

Clean tilled, narrow row non resistant soys are the most suseptable. Anything you can do to change any of those problems will help. I've never had to do the Cobra thing, a few in my neighborhood have. Its not 100% effective from what I've seen. And it sure ugly's the beans up.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)