AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

unit mounted coulters for planter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 8/10/2006 10:05 (#34339 - in reply to #34301)
Subject: RE: unit mounted coulters for planter IN STRIP TILL

Driftless SW Wisconsin
The answer depends on a number of factors. Most of our Dawn strip till customers do not use a coulter at all on the planter, just Trashwheels. We find the Trashwheels are more important than a coulter. This is true whether our Pluribus unit is being used in the fall or spring

If you are doing fall strip till with a mole knife in certain soils in the fall without a row cleaner there can be advantages to using a coulter in the spring to break up remaining clods, and fill in any remaining open knife slot.

The best approach is to have both coulter AND row cleaner. In this case I would suggest the 3/4" 13 wave on our Dawn 1572 combo.

I would NOT recommend any type of combo with a floating row cleaner (we produce both types) due to the difference in soil and residue on the strip vs off the strip, voids etc. I believe in fall knife strip till the row cleaner and coulter depths need to be controlled from the bottom of the vee openers.

The combination I would recommend is the picture below except a 3/4" 13 wave instead of the Ripple blade shown. Good luck in your strip tilling.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 8/10/2006 10:09

(Dawn1572Ripple.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Dawn1572Ripple.jpg (50KB - 188 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)