AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Chad H? Are you doing anything special to raise corn in that area?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Chad H
Posted 8/13/2006 12:43 (#35273 - in reply to #35258)
Subject: Re: Chad H? Are you doing anything special to raise corn in that area?

NE SD
Not really...........we've been just getting enough rain in the past. We've got corn that's burnt, there's no doubt about that. The worst we are having cut for silage. The rest is kind of a hit and miss deal just from walking fields. One area looks like it'll make 120 bu. and the next looks like 20 or less. We're hoping to beat 80 anyhow. There are definitely some nitrogen shortages showing up. In the spring we put 40 gallons of 28-0-0 down with Harness Xtra..........I'm thinking that there hasn't been enough rain activity in the past to really move even that liquid. All I know is in a few areas I saw bottom leaves dropping before the moisture was deep enough in the profile to cause firing. We had a PILE of rain before planting and some of our heavier ground held on to that pretty well.

I also wonder if the guys no-tilling around here hasn't helped with the moisture as well. If you talk to someone who flies planes they can tell you that the air over a black field will be some 20 degrees warmer than that over a field with residue on it on a hot sunny day. I've also heard people who claim to be very knowledgable about weather say that that cooling helps induce precipitation on normal years. Take it for what it's worth........after all you didn't pay anything for it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)