AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

NoFly zones added to DJI software
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Drone TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 1/2/2016 15:52 (#5005719 - in reply to #5005325)
Subject: RE: NoFly zones added to DJI software

Chebanse, IL.....

My info agrees w/Original Geaser Bob. An airport such as Rantoul IL doesn't have commercial passenger service, but can be busy with general aviation at times. I think only the larger airports that we all know, especially if they're close to our home, are more restricted. The "Class B", such as Rantoul, are only drone over-flight restricted by a 0.6 mis (USA measurements...not interested in European measurements) from the geographical center of the airport. You'll find the words "geographical center" of an airport often referenced in the FARs. Now, realize that in this day & age, many non-busy airports, such as Rantoul (I don't mean to diminish the importance of any air operations in or out of Rantoul, IL, just trying to speak in relative terms) have runways 5000' or longer. So, the actual end of that Class B (per DJI) airport may be over 0.6 mis from the geographical center. I personally don't think it's an especially bad thing to be restricted from crossing the approach or landing end of a runway with a drone. If the zone extends upwards with an upside wedding cake, then the flight path may not be restrictive, only the altitude.

Again, unless I misunderstand (please correct me if so), I don't think the rules will be restrictive beyond the point of safety.....if I understand them correctly and if they don't in fact become more restrictive. I in fact, remember the times when we cruise up to Chicago @ 7000' on a clear night in a C-182 for a legal sightseeing beautiful view of Ohare airport while circling over it & watching TO & Ldgs. Regs in the past 30 yrs have ended those sight-seeing days. I will hope that doesn't happen to drones. But, most of the flight freedom was lost on 9/11.

Actually, I hope the public, and the naysayers here on NAT realize how unique the gps guidance makes the drones. They can be programmed to STOP at a predetermined altitude or landmark, like an airport boundary. This is not so with anyone on foot, or driving a vehicle. We read every day about accidental & purposeful unauthorized airport incursions by people & vehicles, not drones. Sometimes they are there by mistake, sometimes they are bent on destruction or disruption. But....there is no gps control like there can be of drones. I hope the public views this like a "trigger lock" for firearms. It won't prevent 100% of problems, but it's certainly meant to try. Like any safety measure, it can & will be over ridden by some.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)