AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

More FAA stuff re. drone ops
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Drone TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 1/23/2016 09:41 (#5057477)
Subject: More FAA stuff re. drone ops

Chebanse, IL.....

Here's my suggestion re. using our drones in our ag lives. I think we all have cameras on our drones. My suggestion is that we fly our drones & then evaluate the quality of photo work we do. As we evaluate that personal photo work, we may make note of things in that field that was photographed that may need to be addressed at some other time...like crop conditions. But, that will remain secondary to the actual task of individually attempting to take the best photos possible.

If you wonder what the heck I'm talking about, the following is a copy/paste of FAA guidelines taken from the official DOT/FAA website (part of 333 exemption guidelines). Please note the last one in the list...it's kind of directed to us ag folks. Let me say, I think it's 101% WRONG! What's this crap about growing crops for personal enjoyment? Are they suggesting those growing crops are never harvested & shared with anyone? This is about the stupidest thing written. Again, you, as a student pilot, can rent a Cessna 150 & fly over your fields in both controlled & Uncontrolled airpace & look & take photos until you're sick of seeing it & then come home & make farming decisions. But, to say that you take a little 2.5# drone 150' into the air & do the same thing is actually illegal is very WRONG by the FAA. Wrong!

Here's copy/paste from their 333 exemption site:

To provide guidance, the following are examples of flights that could be conducted as hobby or recreation flights and other types of flights that would not be hobby or recreation. Hobby or Recreation

Not Hobby or Recreation

Flying a model aircraft at the local model aircraft club.

Receiving money for demonstrating aerobatics with a model aircraft.

Taking photographs with a model aircraft for personal use.

A realtor using a model aircraft to photograph a property that he is trying to sell and using the photos in the property’s real estate listing.

A person photographing a property or event and selling the photos to someone else.

Using a model aircraft to move a box from point to point without any kind of compensation.

Delivering packages to people for a fee.6

Viewing a field to determine whether crops need water when they are grown for personal enjoyment.

Determining whether crops need to be watered that are grown as part of commercial farming operation.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)