AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soybean Seed Count From below!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

okawpat
Posted 8/22/2006 08:54 (#37896)
Subject: Soybean Seed Count From below!

After following the post from below I felt compelled to post. I agree with Ron and others on the seed count issue. I'll take mine by the seed count any day. Many good soybean varieties are passed up by growers due to there large seed size. In the posts below some people seem to think that going to a seed count costs them way more money. This is true and false. The company I deal with sells there beans by 140000 units. 2800 seeds per pound equals a 50 pound bag. 2800 x 50 lb = 140000. Thus on a 2800 seed count there is no price difference. However one of my favorite varieties is consistently 2400 seeds per pound. At $28/unit and my 160000 planting population my cost per acre is $32/acre on my 2400 seed count variety. On the flip side if I buy the same variety at $28 per 50 lb. bag and seed it at the same rate 160000 I would only be buying 120000 seeds and my seed cost per acre would be $37.33 a $5.33 per acre increase. On the flip side another of my favorite varieties is 3200 seed per pound. My 140000k unit is still going to cost me $32/per acre. As far as that goes it will cost me $32/acre no matter what the count is 2000-3600 it is still $32/per acre. In a 50 bag at 3200 seed per pound I would be getting 50lb x 3200 seed per pound = 160000 seeds. $28/acre $4 per acre more. A sacrifice I am willing to pay for the right bean for me. In the yearly overview I figure I come out about the same on cost per based on the varieties I plant. However when it comes down to the end I am not scrambling to find 100 extra bags of beans (something I might not want but there is nothing good left) because the 50 lb bags I bought were a 2400 seed count. Or I have an extra 100 bags left in the shed because they were 3200 seed count. I don't have that problem anymore and can figure my exact cost per acre my lender prefers that also. In conclusion, I feel to many farmers including some of my close friends put way to much weight on seed count when purchasing their beans rather than getting the varieties that are right for their farm. I do not have that problem. I purchase what is right for my farm.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)