AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Jorg and Col,howe is harvest progress?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jorn
Posted 8/25/2006 16:04 (#38681 - in reply to #38204)
Subject: RE: Jorg and Col,howe is harvest progress?

Denmark
Hi Matts.

I got almost done 9 august. Then we had a lot of rain but was able to finish 17 august. We got most of it in at 13 - 14 % moisture. I know I was lucky, in fact it has been the easiest harvest I have experienced in a long time. Even as I was finishing the last field I watched a dark cloud dump 35 mm some 10 miles from me, halting traffic and flooding cellars.

Yields are disappointing in the spring malting barley, some 5,7 t/ha. Winter wheat is about normal, 8,9 t/ha in Smuggler and a whopping 10 t/ha in the new variety Ambition.

In Denmark as a whole I guess some 40 % of the small grains was still in the fields when the rains started 10 august and there is still some left. It is raining a lot at times, we had 25 mm (1 inch) within 30 minutes this afternoon. Effectively stopped all field work.

Almost all grain harvested after 16 august has started germinating due to the high temperatures and is therefore only usable for animal feed.

I have heard about the severe problems in Southern Sweden. I hope things are much better up your ways Matts.

Have a safe harvest.

Jorn in Denmark

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)