AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Murphy's Law Strikes Big Time
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Drone TalkMessage format

Robert W Greif
Posted 8/9/2016 12:49 (#5459429)
Subject: Murphy's Law Strikes Big Time

Dallas Center IA 515-720-2463

Murphy's Law Strikes Big Time

Well I have not had a wreak in a long time. Close to a year. I did break a couple props a week ago. Did not hit anything except the ground. Ran out of power, motor shut down. Hard landing. Two broken props.

Had made six flights since the motor shut down with new props installed. One of them this morning.
Everything seems OK.

Go out a second time this morning. Take off and notice the left landing gear is very much in the camera’s field of view. More than I have ever seen landing gear or propellors in the camera. Much more.
Ran the gimbal up and down a few times. Also turned or spun the craft around, both directions. No help.

Figuring something caught or messed up with the things that hold the camera, I landed.
Could not find anything wrong. Camera move free and easy.

Took off again. Camera still looking off to the left about 30 degrees. Decided maybe it will come out of it. Did some more gimbal fooling.
The camera not looking straight ahead can really mess with your brain in trying to fly a straight line.

Keep it up for a while, decided to do a return to home.
Most of the time I use a point well clear of trees or anything else to hit for a home point.
Nothing to hit on the R2H.

But after the short flight, my second take off point was just outside my tent.
And the R2H was close to right on the money. It would have landed on my tent.

But I stopped the R2H at about 50’ up. Moved it away a hundred feet or so. The camera not looking forward, had me all messed up.

I was trying to bring it back to land on the grass. But it put itself down, hit a fence and landed upside down on a asphalt road.
Motors spinning, and it sounded like WOT [wide open]
I could not get them to stop with the controller.
Walked over to push the battery button. Did it once, but scared. Did not want to fool with those spinning props. Saving a $2000- drone is not worth what those props could do to a human body. Especially mine.
Let it run until they stopped.

Flight record says it hit the ground at 13 minutes and 21 seconds.
Flight record goes on to 15 minutes and 1 second.
And I think that 100 seconds is probably the time it was spinning props upside down on the road.
Flight record is showing all kinds of warning during this on the ground time.

Wore four little holes in the road. The black or silver top centers of the props are worn away.

The bad landing is Robert Greif stupidity, PC term is operator error.
A lot could be blamed on the camera image not being correct.

But what about the camera looking off to the side?

May have a Phantom 4 sooner than I was figuring.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)