AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Worms in my soybeans!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

plowboy
Posted 9/4/2006 05:37 (#41148 - in reply to #41011)
Subject: Re: Worms in my soybeans!

Brazilton KS
Holes in the leaves are most likely caused by green clover worms, and are non-consequential. Greencloverworms will jump and dance when prodded. Control is almost never economically practical because beans can have 50% defoliation with little or no yield loss. The pods are more likely being cut by corn earworm/cotton bollworm/tomato budworm and that is a serious and recurring problem here. The earworm will roll up and lie stationary when prodded. They can also be distinguished by leg arrangement but I better leave that to be looked up for fear of giving bad information. If you are only seeing worms 3/4" long or more there isn't much sense in application at this point, the ones which you need to control are about 1/4"-1/2" in length. Best way to scout is with a vinyl flooring sample....place it on the ground and bend the bean plants over it and shake vigorously to find out what is in there. Thresholds are a topic of much debate, but my theory is when in doubt spray. We spray with a ground rig. Cost is basically the cost of the sprayer trip. Permethrin, Warrior, Mustang, and etc all give good control at relatively low rates as long as you are controling reasonable sized worms. Aerial guys use other, less user-friendly products which cost even less. Once the worms are 3/4" long they are harder to kill but they are also pretty well through eating so usually don't need to be killed. I don't think the acephate will get the job done but my cotton education is getting forgotten. If it will control bollworm it will control this, but if it's just a thrips or plant bug control it is probably not strong enough.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)