AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yields
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Tim Cooke
Posted 9/6/2006 23:00 (#41967 - in reply to #41905)
Subject: Funny you should bring that up.

I think I am going to have to send you the keys to my sprayer. Just can't seem to stop this year. Talked about it a lot on Labor Day. Here is what we decided.............

Looking at the beans they had a good shot of rain to get them out of the ground followed by a long dry spell. Since knee high we have been getting perfect rainfall for the crop development. So, we had an early flush that came up with the beans, a second flush at knee high from the break in the dry spell, and last we have had a late flush that has taken advantage of any sunlight getting to the ground.

Given the choice of dry ground, poor yields, and clean beans vs damp ground, looks to be above average yields, and weedy beans I will take the weeds. We are not picture perfect weed control this year. Double crop beans look like I want them to the rest are various levels of acceptability. Be that "one weed will not kill us" to "that looks bad but no large yield hit".

For the record: 7" weed control is the best. Never resprayed a 7" this year. 15" next with some total fields, but mostly spot spraying sections. 30" is bad. No way around 3 trips here this year. I can name a few fields that should have a 4th trip NOW.

I put my sprayer away today for the last time this year. Honest. I will not get it back out unless...well there is that one field if I get time................................you know, just around the edges..........

I hope corn drys down fast. These weeds are driving me crazy this year.

Tim
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)