AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Chopper/Spreader problems
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Phil N
Posted 10/6/2006 21:31 (#49237 - in reply to #49143)
Subject: RE: Chopper/Spreader problems

If the fixes previously suggested don't solve the problem, you might want to look at how evenly the material is entering the chopper. Based upon your spread width problems, I would suggest that the majority of your residue is probably entering the middle of the chopper, rather than being evenly distributed across the width of it. An easy way of finding this out is to look at the amount of paint loss or wear on the recently reversed stationary chopper knives.

If the stationary blade wear/paint loss is mainly in the middle of the chopper, then you probably have a header feeding problem. I have seen lots of those, and they can be confirmed by looking at the condition of the rasp bars (look up through the stone trap). The attached image shows a 9600 that would not spread wider than about 15'. (Look at the amount of wear on the rasp bars in the centre compared to the outsides). Turned out most of the straw was going through the middle of the cylinder and staying in the centre all the way back to the chopper. This resulted in lower capacity, higher losses and poor chopper performance.

The solution - Check the flighting on the header. This combine had too much flighting which was taking material to the centre of the cylinder. Flighting can be removed by either unbolting a short section or cutting off a short section, depending on the age/model.

If you need any more help, I have more suggestions. email me at [email protected]
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)