AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Advanatge of GS2 over GS1
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

lorenk
Posted 11/9/2006 02:06 (#59516 - in reply to #58477)
Subject: Re: Advanatge of GS2 over GS1

Grand Rapids, MI
Advantages for your applications: The ability to see a yeild map develop onscreen, this can allow for some "ground truthing" of spatial trends. A more flexible and slick looking gui.

Disadvantages: Have to use JD Apex or 3rd party software. Apex currently according to my customers that have used it is a downgrade from JD Office. JD office was free (essentially) and APEX is $$. I think the only 3rd party software that can interface with GS2 is Mapshots EasiSuite, and this is still limited (not able to import application information) because (last I checked) JD is not giving out the info needed to program the import. I have some clients that rely on 3rd party software that are having a big problem with this, big enough that they are holding off on new JD purchases until they see how JD handles this. If JD doesnt act soon they are going to start looking at alternative equipment suppliers for their needs. Not all the functionality JD is advertising is built into GS2 yet. Also, if you have set up and know how to run GS1, moving to GS2 will involve a learning curve. JD has made this much more difficult because they have done a very poor job of communicating timely and correct information about GS2 to producers. I am sure this will get better as the product has been out longer, but there is really no excuse after a year to still be at this point.

Overall, I am currently reccommending to clients that if they don't have to make a change from where they are now, to hold off on GS2 and see if JD can get things straightened out and proves to be serious about working with 3rd party suppliers.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)