AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cornstalk Baling, 3 counties-5 days-1500+bales pics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Chad H
Posted 11/6/2006 22:11 (#58707 - in reply to #58502)
Subject: RE: Feeding dead, dry plants

NE SD

Definitely not bad feed at all Gerard. I know nothing about Dairy rations, but I can tell you like the others have said, you guys require WAY more out of your cows which in turn requires better feed. Beef cows here can be put on stalks up until about mid-January (weather permitting) before you need to start supplementing feed(calf starting to get big) and they will maintain weight just fine.

As far as stover in the ration of beef steers, it's like any hay in beef steers......it's simply a carrier, something for them to chew on so they don't burn their guts up. Our typical ration includes 4-5lbs of a mixed hay- one bale alfalfa, one bale straw, one bale prarie hay(ground in that order) and we gain betwen 3-4lbs a day with that, and that's only in 600-1000lb steers. Guy we contract for takes them and finishes them on even less hay- barlage with the occassionaly hay actually. Let me tell you this....his barlage is not exactly high quality feed. Usually has a lot of weeds in it...but he gains over 4lbs a day and you aren't going to find many lots that are going to beat that...only that will are confinement barns which keep them out of the elements. Even then it's only by a half a pound at a VERY increased cost.

There are feed yards in Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, etc. that use NO hay whatsoever. The animals' guts have to be so burnt out by the time they get to slaughter.........

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)