AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farm Radio's
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

LHaag
Posted 11/14/2006 22:44 (#61682 - in reply to #61646)
Subject: RE: Farm Radio's

Colby, Kansas
Farmboy,

I'm not a long-time radio man but have been in the business since about 1998 and an amateur operator since 97. Based on what you said about distance, my first instinct is to recommend a VHF high band system. By and large you will get the best coverage with this unless you really need to penetrate urban areas (in which case UHF works better). In recent years the FCC has loosened licensing restrictions in that it is now possible to license VHF repeaters, something that was once only available on UHF. Depending upon the density of licenses in your location the UHF may even be considered full. If you have a high location on which you can mount an antenna for a repeater and depending on the centering of that location among your fields you may even be able to utilize only handhelds. We have a customer who has a repeater on a 130' leg and gets about 20 mile radius using only handhelds. I can't say as that a repeater on VHF is any more or less than UHF, and since the changes in license rules, we have pushed new customers to VHF repeaters and they are much happier with the range and quality of signal.

Those are my thoughts, I would be happy to answer any other questions you may have, others on this board will probally have other opinions as well.

Best Regards,

Lucas Haag

Edited by LHaag 11/14/2006 22:45
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)