AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Which 13x91 auger is better?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 11/16/2006 07:43 (#62194 - in reply to #62116)
Subject: RE: Which 13x91 auger is better?...My choice

Chebanse, IL.....

We've presently got a few of the Westfield 10" augers. I have no experience w/the 13x90 models. I do know that would take a tractor w/130+ pto hp, according to neighbors.

We did have a 10" Mayrath/Hutchison w/the lo-pro swingaround just a couple of yrs ago. We will not have another of that type. The Mayrath uses the scissors type derric & caused problems when spotting them on top of a bin. You'd center the output spout on the bin, but when you'd lower the swing-around to the ground, the auger output spout would move approximately 2' away from the side suspending the swing-around. It made it very hard to position the auger. The taller the bin-the greater the problem. You'd try to "lead" it, but that was a guessing game. Also-windy days would cause auger top to sway so much it would often spill corn out on the bin roof. We have several Westfields & have never seen that problem. We have even tried to detect auger spout lateral movement when lowering the swing around, but can't detect any.

The Westfields do have a couple of negative points that I'd sure like to see addressed. I wish the company would offer a stainless steel bottom bearing for the main auger. Seems if you're up on a drying bin, you can pick up a lot of condensation at the bottom of the boot. It eventually gets into the bearing & trakes the seal out. Also-I find their "universals" hard to grease on the swing-around drives. But, even with those deficits, we find the Westfield more attractive than the Mayrath. Both are well represented by dealers & parts in  NE IL.

Another auger that looks OK is the Brandt. I have no working knowledge of them however.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)