AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Teach me about strip tillage please.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 8/27/2007 22:45 (#194169)
Subject: Teach me about strip tillage please.

Hi. Been doing some learning about the strip till method of tillage. So far, things sound pretty good for what I'd like to do. I'll give you an idea of what I'd like to accomplish and see if you can recomend some equipment brands and models, or some more info to read.

I wish to plant grass seed on anywhere from 15"- 22" spacings. Usually in the fall, the grass would be planted behind wheat or clovers. However this fall, I'd like to try to plant into some sweet corn stubble. The seed is very small, I'm sure most here have seen lawn seed, same thing. The seed should be planted about 1/2" deep, up to about 3/4 inch deep. To get started, I'd like to use my double disk opener drill on the strips if I can. I can install a smoothe coulter in front of the opener if needed to pre-cut the groove for the opener. However, if possible, is there a strip till machine that can clean the row of about 50% of the trash or more? And keep the row fairly narrow. How narrow can a strip till machine make the strip? And can I get one that does not ridge or berm the strip, but rather just leaves things at ground level?

Where can I find some used ones for sale? Or what other brands are available? I looked at the redball site and some others that came up on google search, but I dont know enough about what I'm looking for. The terminology used for this type of tillage is different than conventional till.

The soils locally have no rocks. It is loamy soil. Not very sticky even when moist. Some of the lower spots wil have a small amount of clay. The sweet corn was planted on 30" spacings.

Thanks. I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions soon.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)